Monday, March 28, 2011

History of the Duo 104 (part 4)

I have to backtrack a little more at this time.   Even though I had four children at this time....they were all adopted.  The youngest was two when adopted so I missed all the little stuff.   I knew very little about formula, diaper, feeding schedules....and the dreaded suction thingy.  I really grew to hate that thing.  I had told the authorities in OKC that I had experience in raising four children.......I just didn't go into any details.  We were entering uncharted territory and I was being watched closely. 

I had planned on taking two weeks off from work and then go back to real estate, part time after that.  My fantasy was to take the granddaughter to school, work a few hours then come home.  Our daughter was living with us so we could help her with the babies.  After just being gone an hour to take said child to school, to find the Duo unsupervised for the second time changed all that.  This was winter and Chuck was feeding hundreds of head of cattle.  He was stopping in, trying to check on the babies but this situation just wasn't working.  I realized I was the one who was going to have to give up on a career.....we didn't depend on it, but we definitely depended on the ranch to make us a living. 

This was probably my lowest time.  I'm a people person and my job really suited me.  I never knew where I would be or who I would talk to.  I'd spend one day rushing to get paperwork done on time and the next day, I might be walking a field or sitting, having tea with some of the nicest people.
And.....I was good at it.  Enough of that....but like I said, it wasn't my best time.

It was also becoming evident that "helping" the daughter take care of the children wasn't working.  Chuck and I were up around the clock for three hour feedings with no help from her on top of his regular job and me taking care of the seven year old.  It was time for a showdown.  We asked her to leave.  I was thinking this would be a wake up call to her and she would realize she was going to have to change.  The only thing that changed was that she realized she wasn't going to be able to do it and didn't think she ever would be able to.  Believe it or not, this was a relief for her to say that.  The unknown was becoming the known.  We were going to be more than grandparents to the Duo.

to be continued........

1 comment:

  1. Pat, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Dynamic Duo Blogs! You have a wonderful way with words and I can visualize these two little ones antics. Thanks for sharing. I agree with your other followers, that you and Chuck are awesome people to put your dreams on hold to raise these sweethearts! God Bless you all!
    Michelle Roye

    ReplyDelete