Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Dynamic Birth Day

I've skipped over much and find myself thinking of the day...or in this case, night the twins were born.  I've mentioned before, the twins have an older sister that we were taking care of.  She had been seeing her mom nearly every day, so when her mom went into the hospital this was a really rough time for her.  Every other weekend she went to visit her dad so the weekends we had her, I took her to the hospital. 

These visits were pretty stressful for me, since the child was pulled in two different directions so much.  Our daughter thought it was fun to tell her she could do something after I had told her no.  I have a problem understanding that type of fun especially when a child is the one that suffers.   Enough whining.

October 10th, Chuck was going to be out of town until late.  It was the time of year that he is gone a lot, buying stocker calves.  This morning he headed off south and granddaughter and I got up early and headed off west.  My plan was to get there early, let them visit and then leave early for the long trip home.  Hmmmm, best laid plans.  We had a decent visit and though she had been having slight contractions the doctor said there was no immediate problem, so we headed home.  We got to Henryetta when the doctor called and said  I probably needed to come back.  So here I go back with this very tired seven year old that had turned into a limp noodle.  I carried/dragged her back to the hospital with her just wanting the nearest bed.  And.....the contractions had stopped.  Don't get me wrong...this was great.  So I start the process of carrying/dragging to leave......and they start again.  Third time, they don't stop and the doctors decide they can't give her anything else.  Showtime!!  

Since I had the little limp noodle with me, I couldn't go into the delivery room...that was hard because I had gotten to see all but one of my other grandchildren born.  In the back of my mind though, I wasn't too disappointed because I didn't think they would be all right.  Since it was close to midnight, there was absolutely no one around and no one to ask how things where going.  The doctor had told me that the babies would be born before midnight.  Midnight got closer and closer... then passed with still no word.  No one EVER came to tell me anything.  I finally propped the door open so I could still see the sleeping child, and walked down the hall until I could find the delivery room door and knocked.  Still no one would tell me anything!!  See....I was only the grandmother, not a parent, and they were not allowed to tell me anything without my daughter's express consent and she was unconscious.  When they finally brought the babies out, the nurses would not stop and let me look so I ran along with them to the elevator.  The little china dolls were breathing on their own and that's all I knew.   It was two hours before I cut through the red tape to be allowed in to see them and talk to their nurses.  At 29 weeks gestation, they were in surprisingly good shape but everyone was very cautious about their chances.  Nearly every preemie baby has set backs the first few days.  Miraculously, neither twin every had any problem.  They came home three weeks before the doctor had originally projected and have done great ever since.  They are definitely, the Dynamic Duo.

No comments:

Post a Comment